Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Some of my writing.

NaNoWriMo goal is going well though I am probably going to stop updating so much about it. Not that I'm ashamed I'm participating, I have a blast and love the thrill of writing 50,000 words in a month, but because as a writer I should already be writing everyday as much as I can.

I'm also planning on contacting one writer I admire a week to tell them how much I enjoyed their work. Writing is a lonely road and it's nice to let people know that there really is someone out there reading their hard work. On that note I have had a few e-mails, twitter messages, etc. asking me to put up some of my own work.

I always worry about putting my work online, especially anything that hasn't been published. Many places will consider something being posted online as previously published (or so several submission guidelines have told me) so I'm going to put up a poem of mine that was published this past year. I do consider myself somewhat of a horror poet so if you have an issue with horror then please ignore the poem at the end of this post. (These are not the droids you are looking for. Anyone get it? :) )

Enjoy and keep up the writing!

Onus


When my daughter
asks about the dog
lying on the side of the road,
I will tell her he is sleeping
with his skin inside-out
because it's too hot
in the Georgia sun
to dream
with your skin still on.

In the morning
she will confess
her dreams
of finger painting
red and white
across her bedroom wall.
No matter how hard
she and I scour
the spots remain
speckled all over
our hands.



Published in The Peacock's Feet Literary Journal, 2010
11/5/10: And, by the way, just noticed and corrected a typo in this poem. Whoops! Silly typos!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that poem. It's gorgeous, as somebody else obviously already recognised, if it's published.

    I think contacting authors is a fantastic idea. I recently tweeted one of my heroes to let her know I'd just finished a book and was in love with it, and she responded to thank me and say that this is exactly why she writes. It was a lesson for me in the ways in which my opinion matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love contacting writers and just seeing how excited it makes them. I tweeted about how one of my favorite Chapbooks, The Collectors by Matt Bell, was amazing, and somehow my tweet got back to him and within minutes I had a thank you from him. Made my day and his!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy! I found your blog by way of Twitter -- first thing I noticed was you are a writer, second was you live in GA. I'm a fellow GA writer and wanted to say hello :)

    This poem is haunting and beautiful. I read it through twice and still haven't had enough. Off to read it a third time.

    Stop by my blog anytime -- door's always open:
    One Significant Moment at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole! Glad you stumbled upon me! I love twitter far too much for my own good!And I'm really excited to meet a fellow GA Writer! Sometimes I swear we are an endangered breed!

    I'm working on it Sascha! :)

    ReplyDelete